Who is MSF?
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known in English as Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian medical NGO of French origin best known for its projects in conflict zones and in countries affected by endemic diseases. They are the people who really make a difference!!!
Please visit their website to learn more about the MSF organization: https://www.msf.org
Background of the Sierra Leone Project
In the MSF pediatric hospital in Sierra Leone, there are no Sierra Leonean medical doctors at work. All medical clinical work is performed by either international MSF medical doctors or Community Health Officers (CHO) from Sierra Leone.
The CHO only have a basic theoretical training and have very varied clinical experience. Overall, they are not in a position to perform complex clinical tasks autonomously.
The hospital attracts many critically ill children, and constant presence of international MD is required to safe-guard good clinical management.
MSF aims to render the CHO (18 for the moment), clinically more autonomous. Our MSF Healthcare Training Unit will organise a competency based training of the CHO for this purpose.
FYI: HIREghana has placed 7 Nursing Tutors from December to end- February there and a Medical Leaning Officer at the begin of May 2019
Job Brief / Main functions of the position:
- Identify in detail the training needs of the CHO.
- Develop, in collaboration with other members of the MSF in Europe and the MSF team in SL, the training strategy, the curriculum and the planning.
- Interact with partners that could bring resources for this training
- Implement the training activities in the hospital environment
Medical Degree with specialization in paediatrics
Required Professional Experience
A, Clinical experience:
- African paediatric hospital experience of minimum 4 years, including emergency ward and ICU. Ideally in a rural hospital, but also exposure to services with a good quality equipment.
- Some clinical experience outside Ghana is a plus.
B. Experience in clinical teaching
- Strong experience in clinical supervision
- Minimum 3 years of teaching experience, ideally teaching of clinical officers
- Theoretical understanding of learning techniques, ideally in the field of adult learning.
C, Management experience
- Experience in organising training curricula
- Some other management experience is a plus
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- French is highly desirable / it is a plus!!!
- So is knowledge of local languages
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Competencies + Soft Skills
- Team player, able to work in a multicultural environment
- Active listener, patient and calm
- Outstanding diagnostic and problem solving abilities
- Excellent communications skills
- Position based in Kenema (Sierra Leone)
- 12 months of temporary contract – might turn into a permanent one
- Housing and other secondary benefits are based on MSF Reward Policy.
- Starting date: July 2019
· Although there is a minimum of 1300 Euros per month, the salary will be determined in accordance with our international remuneration system, based on previous experience on similar positions and country of residence
· There is a budgetary cap of about maximum 1900 Euros per month.
How to Apply?
Send us your 2-page CV in Word (so NO PDF files please) to:
CV @ HIREgh . com (remove empty spaces) with ‘MSF Pediatrician’ in your email’s subject/ Title line
2 in-depth interviews with HIREghana (in person – no skype)
1 Motivation Letter (we tell you how to do it)
1-3 Skype interview with MSF
1 interview in Accra with MSF
If selected, both us (HIREghana) and MSF will go also through an in-depth interview of your references please.
PS: Please by simply sharing or liking this, you might help a family member/ friend/ colleague/ Church member, to a new job with dignity. We care about that.