Starting salary: 1000 – 1500 GHS gross HEADMISTRESS for TARKWA Farming NGO’s school
About the Farming NGO and the School
The NGO has a mission of developing and sustaining robust health systems for farming -growing communities in rural Ghana. The NGO is based in Tarkwa Breman, in a farming village located near the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region of Ghana.
We believe that education fundamentally shapes a child’s lifelong health and impacts their ability to make sound health decisions. We therefore go beyond medical treatment – focusing on education for the most vulnerable target of risky health behaviors and infections – young girls.
Our “Health Equity Campus” – a girls’ school, clinic, and community library situated amid our 40-acre plantation, combines prevention programs and treatment measures to form an innovative approach to health equity.
Our Girls School
Our Girls’ School was established in 2016 to channel the “girl effect” and systemically address low health literacy rates in Tarkwa Breman. It is a day school providing tuition-free education to girls starting from kindergarten to JHS. Currently, our school has three classes: KG1, KG2, and Class 1.
The Headmaster / Headmistress will provide professional leadership for the school which secures its success and improvement, ensuring high quality education for all its pupils and good standards for learning and achievement. Reporting to the Director of Development & Partnerships, the Headmaster / Headmistress is responsible for creating academic policies, managing all teaching staff, developing the curriculum, and overseeing the school’s daily operations.
We are looking for a Headmaster / Headmistress who is entrepreneurial and self-starting, who has great management skills and is comfortable in collaborative environments, including working across teams, and who thrives in challenging environments. This role would have direct management responsibility for our kindergarten and growing primary school. The ideal candidate will thrive in a community based, mission-driven organization. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders and foster new and existing partnerships. If you’re familiar with Ghanaian and American curriculum and are looking for an opportunity to use your time and energy to assist an early stage organization in impacting cocoa-farming communities, we want you!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide strategic and operational leadership to the school community
- Ensure that teachers and students undertake learning in a conducive, safe and secure environment
- Ensure the availability of adequate resources for the promotion of effective learning
- Handle the day-to-day administration of the school
- Establish, review and approve new programs or recommend modifications to existing program
- Assign duties and monitor activities of both teaching and non-teaching staff in order to achieve set target
- Plan, direct, and/or monitor instructional methods and content for educational, vocational, or student activity programs
- Improve visibility of the school to increase admissions pool and for long – term sustainability of the school
- Identify and address learning and development need of staff and recommend appropriate interventions
- Oversee and formally evaluate the curriculum and the instruction of the teaching staff.
- Administer discipline to staff, when appropriate
- May perform classroom teaching duties during absence of regular teacher and counsel and provide guidance to student
- Coordinates outreach activities which Communicate the vision of the school to all stakeholders
- Initiate and retain partnerships with businesses, communities, and other institutions or organizations to identify educational needs, and establish and coordinate programs
- Liaise with parents and staff to discuss educational activities, policies, and student behavioural or learning problems.
- A BEd, BA, BSc. or higher in relevant discipline. Experience in education management is strongly preferred.
- Postgraduate studies in Education or a second degree in a relevant field preferred.
- 1-2 year’s of experience as an assistant headmaster/mistress, unit head at education office headquarters, or an equivalent position
- At least 2 year’s of experience as head teacher or equivalent leadership responsibility preferred.
- Minimum of 2 year’s of experience working in a Nursery/Primary school teaching
- A deep knowledge of the Ghanaian and American curriculum and standards
- Very passionate about inspiring and educating kids
- Detail-oriented, hands-on and with good organizational and project management skills
- A team player, accommodative and patient
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Good command of Twi is highly preferable
- Experience of working in an NGO is an advantage.
Preferred age is 25-35 yrs old.
FREE ACCOMMODATION is provided during the 1st year of employment.
Obviously salary depends on past experience and overall skillset.
We are looking forward to receiving your CV in Word format!
Please kindly send your CV in Word to CV [at] HIREgh . com and use ‘Tarkwa Headmistress‘ in your email’s subject title.
PS: by simply liking or sharing this, you might help a family member/ friend/ colleague/ Church member, to a new job with dignity. Tnx