Communications and Storytelling Manager
for Unique NGO – FREE accomodation during the 1st Year of employment.
Who We Are (who the client is)
This NGO is a 501c3 non-profit with a mission of developing and sustaining robust health systems for cocoa-growing communities in rural Ghana. The NGO is based in Tarkwa Breman, a cocoa farming village located in the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region of Ghana.
We believe that education fundamentally shapes a child’s lifelong health and impacts their ability to make sound health decisions. We therefore go beyond medical treatment – focusing on education for the most vulnerable target of risky health behaviors and infections – young girls.
Our “Health Equity Campus” – a tuition-free girls’ school and community clinic situated amid our 40-acre cocoa plantation, combines prevention programs and treatment measures to form an innovative approach to health equity.
The Communications and Storytelling Manager is primarily responsible for outreach, engagement and marketing for our NGO in Tarkwa Breman and beyond, creating partnerships with community members and local entities for the dual purpose of strengthening parental participation, and increasing organizational presence around the world. The Community Impact Fellow works under the direction of the Director of Operations and is responsible for coordinating, implementing and executing strategies for establishing and promoting positive interaction among our NGO, its beneficiaries, the general community, and partner organizations.
The Community Impact Fellow will support the fund development goals of the organization in alignment with its mission, vision and values. This individual will work closely with the Director of Operations and the CEO to professionalize the organization’s marketing and communication strategy and implementation.
The Communications and Storytelling Manager at this level would have direct project management responsibility for several small-scale initiatives. The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial work environment and be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a startup environment. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
The Communications and Storytelling Manager will work closely with our NGO leadership team CEO, the Director of Operations and the Finance Director to develop communication strategies and expand our online and media-related activities. our NGO is at an exciting inflection point and, there is room for growth and promotion within the organization to the position of a Fundraising and Communications Manager, dependent upon performance.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- The Communications and Storytelling Manager will be responsible for executing a unified, consistent brand identity via the design of compelling, audience-tailored visual communications assets, including: annual and quarterly reports (digital and print), email marketing collateral, platform-specific social media content, newsletter content, website content, and print and digital marketing collateral for fundraisers, conferences, and donor meetings.
- Conduct field visits and interviews to produce visual and text material to support our NGO’s online and print media presence
- Curate, edit, and manage our blog
- Oversee community engagement initiatives, including but not limited to: parental engagement activities, community clean-up days, community day, and educational / health outreach programs.
- Develop and implement programming which allows community stakeholders to take ownership of systematic outreach and engagement.
- Develop a marketing and communication strategy for fundraising campaigns that also promotes our NGO’s outreach efforts.
- Create platform-specific content strategy to increase engagement amongst target audiences on our NGO’s social media accounts.
- Oversee our NGO’s website, to encourage online engagement with all key stakeholders. Develop and regularly upload new content onto our NGO’s website; creating new webpages, editing and archiving old content where necessary.
- Assist in the grant process with research, writing and editing
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in marketing, international development or social work, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
- 2-3 years of managerial experience in a nonprofit, NGO or startup setting (preferred).
- Graphic design skills and experience (fluency in Adobe Creative Cloud suite preferred); experience with infographics a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven results in implementing marketing and communications strategic plans
- Proven results in managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) and analytics technologies to engage a diverse audience
- Familiarity with CMS platforms (WordPress, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines
- Experience working in rural communities preferred
- A social attitude towards the community
- Language: English, required and willingness/ability to speak Twi, preferred
- PR & News Releases
- Asset & Content Creation
- Videography – storytelling, status updates on construction, messages to donors
- Creating media for donor related materials
- Design Work
- Website maintenance and expansion
- Building separate fundraising pages for each campaign
- Making more interactive
- Annual / Quarterly Report – Separate for donors and board
- Logo design for Clinic and Farm
- Signage for entire campus
- Pamphlets / Brochures / Posters for health education workshops and clinic use
- Quarterly newsletter
- Working to craft campaign strategy
How to apply: Send your resume in Word along with a cover letter and a short writing sample to CV [at] HIREgh. com with subject line: “NGO Storyteller & Communications”
Dates: Early 2018; as soon as possible preferred
Hours: Full-time, paid. (Accommodation provided for first year).
Location: Tarkwa-Breman, Ghana
PS: by simply liking or sharing this, you might help a family member/ friend/ colleague/ Church member, to a new job with dignity. Tnx